Each May, in observance of National Historic Preservation Month, Historic Columbia Foundation recognizes local projects that epitomize efforts to maintain and add to the historically, architecturally, and culturally significant buildings, neighborhoods, landscapes within the city and Richland County. This year the Foundation joins the National Trust for Historic Preservation in its theme of “Celebrating America’s Treasures.”
Eight local projects were recognized in the categories of Preservation/Restoration; Adaptive Use; New Construction in a Historic Context; and Preservation Leadership. Each treasures in their own right, these projects reveal a wealth of vision, talent, perseverance, and commitment to respecting the past while accommodating the future.
Preservation/Restoration & Preservation Leadership
Trinity Cathedral, 1100 Sumter Street
Trinity Foundation & Trinity Episcopal Cathedral
Wilson Farrell, Owner’s Representative
In anticipation of its 200th anniversary, Trinity Parish embarked on what appeared to be a $2 million capital improvement of Trinity Cathedral and Parish House. When completed in 2010, the resultant work far exceeded initial estimates in extent and cost. However, the end result, made possible through the dedication of skilled South Carolina craftsmen, led to a state-of-the-art restoration of this circa-1846 National Register of Historic Places-listed site.
Goodwill Plantation, Eastover
Larry Faulkenberry, Property Owner
Since purchasing this Lower Richland County property in 1995, J. Larry Faulkenberry has totally emerged himself in its history while restoring key elements of its historic character, addressing wildlife needs, and opening the site for public tours.
(no photo available)
Pine Grove Rosenwald School, St. Andrews
Richland County Recreation Commission
John Clayton, Architect
Ronnie Kinnett & Bryan Crider, Contractors
As the last remaining school of the 15 built in Richland County, this circa-1923 facility was saved from destruction by the Richland County Recreation Commission (RCCC), which saved the property, recently listed in the National Register of Historic Places, for use as a field study site for Richland District One students.
Wesley United Methodist Church, 1725 Gervais Street
Walter Grant, Property Representative
The Boudreaux Group, Architect
Shenandoah Restoration & Watertight Systems, Contractors
Faced with potential demolition, the circa-1910 Columbia landmark fortunately was saved by parishioners whose efforts have resulted in extensive exterior restoration work within the structure’s masonry and stained glass windows.
Adaptive Use/New Construction in an Historic Context
601 Gervais Street/1218 Pulaski Street Complex
Greg Conde, Property Representative
Studio 2LR, Architect
Hood Construction & Mashburn Construction, Contractors
Inspired by the Vista’s industrial roots, Studio 2LR created a distinctly modern structure whose massing, materials, and design complement this historic district’s character while offering a fashionable modern office space through the adaptive reuse of an historic structure formerly used as an antique mall.
New Construction in an Historic Context
Ernest F. Hollings Special Collections Library
University of South Carolina, Owner
Watson Tate Savory Liollio, Architect
Gilbane Building Company, Contractor
Concern of respect for Edward Durell Stone’s Cooper Library and the challenge to meet the demands of security and environmental controls resulted in the striking facility that preserves the University of South Carolina’s renowned rare book collection.
1703 Taylor Street
Richland County and the Township Auditorium Board
Stevens & Wilkinson, Architect
Contract Construction, Contractor
This circa-1930 National Register of Historic Places-listed landmark was transformed into a modern-era facility through a $12 million rehabilitation that involved extensive infrastructure work and the dismantling and repositioning of its façade to accommodate an enlarged lobby, bathrooms, and other amenities.